With over 17 million customers, GoDaddy is one of the most popular domain registrars out there. GoDaddy is also ICANN accredited and manages a whopping 40 million domain names.
When you are pointing your domain to Kinsta you have two options, the first is to use an A record, and the second is to utilize Kinsta’s premium DNS feature with Amazon Route 53. The second option requires that you change your nameservers. If your domain is at GoDaddy, this article will show you how to change GoDaddy nameservers to point your domain to Kinsta.
Because GoDaddy lets you make this change in two different interfaces, we’re going to give you tutorials for both interfaces (you only need to make the change once, though).
To help you find which interface you’re using, read the short section below. Then, you can jump straight to the tutorial for the exact interface that you’re using.
Which GoDaddy Interface Are You Using?
GoDaddy can be a little confusing because they actually offer two different interfaces for managing your domains. We’ll give you guides for changing nameservers via both interfaces. But before we do that, let’s figure out which interface you’re using.
You can access both interfaces by clicking on your GoDaddy username and choosing the Manage Domains option in the Control Panel Links column:
GoDaddy uses the following names for the interfaces:
- Card view – this should be the default interface for new GoDaddy accounts
- Advanced list view
Figure out which interface you’re using (or want to use) and then skip straight to the tutorial that you need using the links below:
- How to change GoDaddy nameservers in card view
- How to change GoDaddy nameservers in advanced list view
How to Change GoDaddy Nameservers In Card View
The following instructions apply to using the GoDaddy card view interface.
Step 1: Go to DNS Management Interface
- To get started, go to the Manage Domains interface:
- Then click on the Gear icon in the top right corner of the card for the domain that you want to manage. Then, select the Manage DNS option from the drop-down:
- Next, you should see the DNS Management interface.
Step 2: Edit Nameservers
- To change your nameservers, scroll down to the Nameservers section and click the Change button
Step 3: Enter New Nameservers
- When you click on Change, GoDaddy will give you a drop-down that allows you to choose your new nameserver type. To use your own nameservers, choose Custom from the drop-down.
- Once you make that change, you’ll be able to enter your own nameservers, as well as add additional nameservers if needed.
How to Change GoDaddy Nameservers In Advanced List View
The following instructions apply to using the GoDaddy advanced list view interface.
Step 1: Go to Edit Nameservers Interface
To start editing your nameservers, first head to the Manage Domains interface:
Then, follow these three steps to access your nameservers:
- Check the box to the left of the domain you want to edit.
- Select Nameservers from the menu bar
- Choose the Set Nameservers option from the drop-down
Step 2: Select Custom Nameservers
- You should see a popup titled Nameserver Settings. To edit your nameservers, you need to choose the Custom radio button under the Setup type title. Then click Enter custom nameservers
Step 3: Enter New Nameservers
- On the next screen, you can enter your new nameservers.
- Once you’re done, click OK. Then click Save on the next page to finalize your nameserver change. It may take up to 24 hours for your changes to take effect.
How to Change Name Servers in Google Domains
- Login to your Google Domains Account
- If you have multiple domains, you will need to select the domain where you will change the DNS. If you hover over the icon, you will see that the third icon to the right will be labeled Configure DNS. Click on this icon.
- A section titled Name servers will appear and you will have the option to select either: Use Google's name servers or Use custom name servers. Click on Use custom name servers.
- Click on the blue button labeled ADD in order to add your name servers. If you make a mistake or there are name servers already in this section, you can click on Edit in order to make changes to name servers.
- Once you have completed adding the name servers, click on SAVE to save your changes